Slow Cooker Vegan Saag Paneer! If you like saag paneer or palak paneer, you will love this vegan version using tofu instead of paneer. Made effortless in the slow cooker for healthy weeknight dinners. Gluten-free. Thank you to Delish Knowledge for this yummy recipe!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 thai chili, seeded and chopped
- 2 pounds frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- rice and naan, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, ginger, spices and thai chili and cook another 1-2 minutes until spices are toasted and fragrant. Remove from heat and place in the base of a food processor.
- Add the spinach leaves to the food processor and pulse to chop the spinach. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your food processor; I do it in two batches.
- Place the chopped spinach and spice mixture to the base of a slow cooker along with the coconut milk, tomato sauce and salt. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- 30-60 minutes before serving; dice the tofu and toss with the cornstarch until coated. Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until golden brown. Add the tofu to the spinach mixture and cook. Season to taste, as needed, and serve with rice and naan.